Drugs are bad, ok? Joe Walsh saves the day with some perspective

                          Creating While Clean

Steven Tyler, Julien Baker, Ben Harper, Jason Isbell, Joe Walsh, and other sober musicians on how to thrive creatively without drugs or booze.



*** postscript commentary on Keith Moon at bottom

I was just in the garage doing some chores and Joe Walsh came on, which always makes me happy.  I then thought about this article I read a year or two ago and i had to laugh.  It's a really thoughtful and well written piece interviewing famous rock stars who have gotten clean over the years.  If you follow any kind of drug rehab story ever told, the tropes are all there.  They have some real heavy hitters in this piece, too.  Steven Tyler, Trey Anastasio, Joe Walsh, and others.

As I mention, the arc of the narrative is pretty predictable.  they talk about the partying and rock bottom and what it has all meant.  Invariably, they also almost all echo the familiar 'I thought I was having fun, but the reality is I was miserable, and covering up repressed pain.  I was on a self destructive path heading only to death, and I didn't even care.  They were all these delicate introverts thrust into the position of fame and power and adulation.  They almost all look back in horror and regret of their druggy days and ways.  Almost... all of them.

There is a refreshing defector from the pity party line - Joe Walsh.  While every single other rock star interviewed in the piece says they were miserable the whole time, and putting on the brave face of celebrity which society demanded of them. 

Like all the others interviewed, Joe was a heavy and barely functioning alcoholic and drug addict.  Only problem with the (almost forced) narrative of desperate lies and misery every musician says they lived during their fog... one stands out.  Joe is also totally clean now.  Just how sad and desperate was Joe Walsh during the worst of it? Turns out... not so much!

Joe Walsh.   When he looks back and his crazy coked and booze fueled decades, he opines "Man, it was a BLAST!  We had SO much fun.  I have no regrets!"   "it was fun, great fun!"

I just needed someone to have the strength of character to say that.  Of course, there is a horrible destructive and pointless aspect to wasting a life on drugs.  But, its also tons of fun... admit it.  You know who suffered?  Soldlers in a goddamn war.  For me to hear a rock star tell me that thew blew through millions doing blow and banging groupies and crashing million dollar cars... I mean... how was that not fun?

God bless you, Joe.  

OOOH - I just remembered this.  The day I got my laptop (several laptops ago... this clip is at least 10 years old) I went to test the camera.  So, i did a Joe Walsh bit on my guitar.


Here is the piece I am talking about, and its a great read if you are a rock person.  Whether you are for drugs and decadence... or against it... its still a great piece.

*** to be transparent, I am not someone who drinks and drugs.  However, I am also not someone who doesn't drink nor drug.  I have little judgement for, or against, those vices.  But if you blew through 20 million bucks on cocaine, like Aerosmith did... at least tell me it was a hell of a time.

*** on Keith Moon 



when reading about Joe Walsh's drunken coked up adventures, its tough not to think of Keith Moon.  They were close, and toured together.  The stories of Keith Moon's antics are LEGENDARY, and hilarious.  They have been celebrated and retold for decades.  These days, I can only think of what a nightmare he must have been to deal with.

Blowing up toilets and burning down hotel rooms at 3 am is great to read about with a thousand miles and 30 years between me.  Can you imagine living with him?  Or being in the band?  What a nightmare he must have been.  I would have killed him long before he had a chance to accidentally do himself in.  Given a drink or 20, Keith Moon was a psychotic asshole.  

hat being said, you must do some reading on his antics.  Lemme help!

Comments

Popular Posts