Woodstock 99 doc: Peace, Love, Rage, and sweeping generalizations

 


Let’s talk about the Woodstock 99 doc.  Specifically, let’s talk about two things:  the boobs, and the underlying and odd accusation of 'rape culture toxic male masculinity’.  First off, the boobs.  Oh, the boobs.  The documentary was rife with boobs.  And?  My favorite kind:  regular girl boobies.  That made me happy.  Then, it disgusted me.  The doc shows the boobs as to exemplify how sexual, and sexualized, the attendees (and consequently the entire era if follow their thinking) had become.

 

YET - there is no way they got clearance from all those gals to show all those titties.  The doc is very proud of itself and how enlightened it is… by showing tons of amateur titties.  If the mission statement of the doc was ‘sorry, women of 1999.  We were pigs.  But we are better now.  Btw, can we show all your titties from our stock and found footage to make our point?’  I can only assume there are children of those super hot gals who are the age now those girls were then.  “Mom, is that your titties?  Nice rack!  Thanks for making sure my childhood will be scarred by all my buddies having seen your 20 year old boobs.   To be really as enlightened as their filmmakers seemed to feel they were… blur the boobs.  NO.  Kidding.  NEVER do that.  Leave the boobs and blur the faces.

 

The accusation of the rapey/entitled when men/nu metal/unpinning of violence in male culture in the US.  Before I hit that topic (and after that topic, we are done), I very much enjoyed the documentary.  Just a couple of sweeping judgements or contradictions drove me nuts.  That sentence above, where they implied/said outright that all white men were on the verge of murder due to do Fred Durst, and the music festival gave them opportunity.  Yes, men love boobs.  No, there was no climate in the very late 90s that made us all rapey!  I know.  I was that age at that time.  and I was listening to WAY daker shit than Limp Bizkit.  Guess what, ALL GODDAMN MEN ARE horndogs in their teens and twenties.  As for the other declaration, of young white males feeling 'entitled' do dipshit behavior expecting (and receiving) no consequence?  Pretty sure that goes back several hundred or thousand years. Uncontrollably.  This happened in 1720, and 1920 , and 1999, and in 2021.

 

Lighten up, Francis!

 

Comments

Popular Posts