Melissa Etheridge - hero



I couldn't stay away from the Grammy's tonight. I managed to miss about 80% through hard work and diversion, but stumbled upon an amazing performance. I was channel surfing and saw the great Kris Kristofferson speaking. I knew something was up... so I stayed there. I quizzed my wife as to who that was. I gave her this hint 'he wrote Janis Joplin's biggest hit', she figured out Kristofferson immediately after that... as we have several terrible versions of him doing it over the years.

So then he mentions a Janis tribute featuring Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge. Well, I stood up right there when he said that. I thought (and said to my wife) Melissa Etheridge? No way, since she announced having breast cancer she has pretty much disappeared from the spotlight. I completely understand, and didn't expect to see her for a year or two. I have a sweet spot for her for many reasons, but chief among them is she was my first professional review. See here for that.

So I have wondered about how she is doing, because I am pretty obsessive in all aspects of music. I expected maybe a press release now and again, but she turned up and rocked tonight. The best part of it, to me, was she was bald! It took such courage for her to get up there without any hair (which I am assuming she has lost in Chemo treatment for cancer) and just tear it up. She looked great, she was full of expression and joy. She also was able to tell millions of cancer patients worldwide that it is ok to have cancer, and not to hide in shame.

Anyhow, I wish I could offer you more info on her... but it is scarce. I hope to god she is doing and feeling well, and that she comes out of this on top. If tonight was any indication, we'll see her again before the year is out.

Lastly, if you get the chance, see her live acoustic performance of 'Born to Run' from the 'Concert for New York'.  Normally I would link a clip here, but that footage is beyond scarce... and the discs are out of print.


* oh, interesting and very relevant side note: for years Melissa was attached to play and sing as Janis Joplin in a huge Hollywood epic. I have been hearing about it for at least 5 years. Strangely, the project finally got a green light and the role of Janis was handed to pop singer Pink just this fall.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lono: I'm stalking you...Came across "The Pantom Blog" and your post about the Grammy's. My husband and I watched them together this year. Usually we don't watch them, because they suck. But this year....WOW...we were captivated! We both agreed that it was the best Grammy Award Ceremony we've ever seen. It was produced in such a way that I felt the focus was entirely on "the music". My husband and I are hard core "rock and rollers" and came up during the height of the rock revolution during the turbulent 60's. The best thing to come out of the 60's was the music. It was very moving to watch Melissa Etheridge wail out a Joplin song bald as an eagle. Janice was one of my favorites back then. "Me and Bobbie McGee" is a hall of famer, for sure. Both my husband and I felt like we had "attended" something special the night of the Grammy's. Kind of hard to put into words. Kind of sad yet hopeful at the same time. We definitely noticed a "shift" from sexual gratuitousness as theme to an almost "spiritual" or musical high road approach to the production. Hip Hop and Rap were noticably missing from the program.And thank F*&%$# God for that... What do you know....we may have found "common ground".....Sallyann
Anonymous said…
Hi!I'm from Brazil and I saw your blog in a web search!Your blogs is very
cool!Congratulations!

Dealing with the life: the Dog and the Fox


Certain day, the dog found it raposa.Day then, the two had turned great
friends, was the time all togheter.Both had sworn a forever friendship.The
dog said that it would give its life for the fox, the fox said that it
would give its life for the dog. Thus it passed the time, the dog was
always to the side of the fox, in all its joys or all its difficulties, if
it sacrificed for the fox if she was necessary, to see its friend always
happy and contente.The fox, also demonstrated to help the dog, made what it
was in its reach to help to the friend dog. It ties that, the winter
cames.Os two friends with very cold, had one day left for the forest in
search of shelter.The two had decided to break up themselves and to leave
for the forest, in case that one found a shelter, the other would go to
inform your friend.The dog it looked for ... until found a hollow trunk of
tree, where could if to shelter.It was in search of the fox, found it and
informed that it finds shelter.The two had followed ties shelter.Arriving
there, they had perceived that in the shelter it would have place for one
of two.O dog only said the fox that was in the trunk and that if it
sheltered.During days, the fox slept warm in the trunk of tree, while the
dog almost congealed the side The time passed, ties to arrive the autumn.Os
was agitated:the forces of the nature informed that it would have great
flood.The more two friends than they had fast run to look for where if to
shelter during these times they had hard.Again decided if separate.The fox
looked for, looked for, ties that mount found well high, where the flood it
would reach.But the rain already it started to fall.The fox if did not feel
comfortable where it was, and preferred to wait a little ties that the
friend dog appeared, thus it would inform it that it finds shelt.Ate that
rain fell with more intensity, and started to go up the level of water.Ate
that the friend dog appeared calling the fox of of softly morro.Ele was
weak there, he needed the friend to go up, needed a support to be able to
walk, in case that I oppose would not leave place.A fox listened to the
calls of the dog, looked at for low, but he perceives that the water level
went up with rapidity.The fox fearing to have that to go down and not to
arrive at the shelter the time water level ignored the order of aid of
amigo.O went up each time more, ties that the rapids dragged cão.A force
of waters led, playing with force against a trunk of tree.It beats its head
in the trunk and, two minutes after, it die.The fox attends to the scene,
seeing the blood of the head of the friend if to mix the water of the
flood, Moral of history: passing of the time makes with that everything
that is brightness if erases in darkness.Unhappyly, nothing and perpetual,
also the friendship. Moral of History 2:O egoism corrodes the people, no
matter how hard you if it risks for somebody, never this person will repay
to it equally. Moral of history 3: it cultivates the true friendships well
and it knows to choose them, because the last time is lost time and it does
not have more return.

By Cibele-Brazil

www.belinharock.weblogger.terra.com.br
Anonymous said…
GROW IT YOURSELF!

Popular Posts