U2 on SNL


Holy crap! Did you see that? Tell me you saw that. That was phenomenal, groundbreaking, life rock and roll live television (for me anyhow, but I am hardcore music dork). U2 just proved why they are the greatest band in the business. Allow me to sum up > The first song was Vertigo, and I think y'all know how that one goes. The second song was something about going it alone (sorry, I am the only guy in the country who doesn't have it off the net, and so don't know the titles or melodies yet). It starts out slow and boring, and mid-way through it becomes every U2 song you have ever heard. However, it becomes powerful and beautiful towards the end. It ended as a great performance. Then we go to the goodbye stage where everybody waves and smiles and credits roll. The credits do not roll though, and the familiar piano melody isn't there. Bono is up front with the host, and all the sudden you hear the opening riff to 'I will follow'. Bono takes off of the stage and heads to the left. The camera follows him and the band is still set up. The bust into 'I will follow' and just knock it out of the park. Towards the end of the song Bono takes off (not unlike what he he did here during Beautiful Day a few years ago) and is carousing with the audience. Then Edge walks out there too. The cameramen are struggling to follow, and now Bono is on some gal's lap... still singing his heart out.

Lemme tell you, I have not missed more than a couple of Saturday Night Live's in the last 15 years and that was simply a powerful perfect excellent performance. There were woman weeping in the aisles, especially the one who got a lapdance from Bono. Never has a band done three songs on SNL, unless you count Fear's mini set a long long time ago (which got cut live, as the band would not stop playing). I am sure you are sick of hearing about U2 right now, frankly you should be... but pray your buddy taped this. This band never 'phones it in'. I have had an ongoing discussion with a pal for years as to who is the most important and vital band in rock today. He goes with Springsteen every time (a wise choice). However, tonight U2 proved they are the kinds of rock... and they do it with about 70% less people than the Boss does. The band then went into a fourth song, but the show had to cut to credits.

If only these guys could get a little press, I think this album may do ok.

Comments

majikwah said…
Bruce rules! (Although, in fairness, I was a U2 fan way before I was Springsteen fan) It is not the number of folks in your band, it is how tight and magical the music the band plays. And U2 plays tight and magical tunes. As does the E Street band. No arguments here. However, I would add this to the Lono V R-dub argument - Bruce is American. Why do you hate America?

Popular Posts